Col. Anthony L. Smith is the Commander, Joint Base McGuire-DixLakehurst (JB MDL) and 87th Air Base Wing, JB MDL, New Jersey. Col. Smith provides installation support to more than 80 mission partners at the Defense Department’s only tri-service joint base. He is also responsible for providing mission-ready expeditionary Airmen, Guardians, and Sailors to combatant commanders in support of joint and coalition operations.
Col. Smith entered the Air Force after receiving his commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps at Fayetteville State University, North Carolina in May 1997. Col Smith has served in a variety of positions at the wing, center, major command, Air Force and defense agency levels including commanding at the squadron and group levels.
Prior to his current position, Col. Smith was the Director for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, serving as the principal financial advisor to the commander. He was responsible for identifying funding requirements, developing the command’s budget, administering the Transportation Working Capital Fund and executing AMC’s $15 billion in annual programs. He supported more than 800 financial managers providing vital services to Air Mobility Command units worldwide, including 43,000 activeduty Airmen, 1,300 airlift and refueling aircraft, 17 wings, and one stand-alone group.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Accounting, Fayetteville State University, N.C.
1997 Basic Financial Management Officer Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2002 Master of Science, Cost Analysis, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson, AFB, Ohio
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala. 2003 Financial Management Staff Officer Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2007 Defense Financial Management and Comptroller School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2018 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1997–August 2000, Financial Services Flight Commander and Deputy Financial Analysis Flight Commander, 92nd Comptroller Squadron, 92nd Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash.
2. August 2000–April 2002, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. April 2002–March 2005, Cost Analyst and Chief, Program Control, Space Tracking and Surveillance System, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
4. March 2005–July 2008, Budget Analyst and Executive Officer, Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
5. July 2008–June 2009, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. July 2009–June 2012, Commander, 4th Comptroller Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
7. July 2012–July 2014, Commander, 2nd Comptroller Squadron, 2nd Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
8. August 2014–July 2016, Director, Cost Integration, Policy and Workforce Development, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va
9. July 2016–July 2017, Senior Military Assistant to the Director, Defense Finance and Accounting Service Arlington, Va.
10. July 2017–May 2018, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. June 2018–July 2019, Budget Director, Resources and Management Directorate, Headquarters Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
12. July 2019–July 2021, Commander, 71st Mission Support Group, Vance AFB, Okla.
13. July 2021–June 2023, Director, Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
14. June 2023–Present, Commander, 87th Air Base Wing, Joint-Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Department of Defense Financial Management and Comptroller Program, Level III Acquisition
Professional Development Program, Bus-FM/CE Level II
Certified Defense Financial Manager
Certified Cost Estimator and Analyst
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Feb. 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2012
Colonel Oct. 1, 2018
(Current as of June 2023)